The year 2014 will be remembered by the Company and its various stakeholders as the year of the return to growth.
With the aim of alleviating the impact of the stagnation caused by the global recession in certain markets in which ACCIONA operates and the significant effects that the regulatory changes had on our business activities, in 2013 we launched an Action Plan, the objectives of which were successfully reached in 2014.
About this report
Openness, comprehensiveness and clarity
The way ACCIONA addresses the challenges of sustainable development and the performance of the Company regarding this matter during 2014 are included in this Sustainability Report, in order to provide stakeholders a complete and reliable information.
ACCIONA remains one of the most sustainable companies in the world.
Characterized by its strong commitment to development through renewable energies, infrastructures, water and services, it stands out every year for its long-term focused management model.
In its contribution to a more sustainable economy, ACCIONA counts on 33,559 professionals and reached 6.499 million euros in sales in 2014.
Triple bottom line
ACCIONA focuses its strategy on economic growth, environmental balance and social progress.
The Company is engaged in achieving a sustainable business model, according to its objectives of economic profitability and social and environmental long-term commitments.
In 2014 ACCIONA continues to meet its environmental and commitments objectives. The Company has avoided 28 times the CO2 generated in its production activity during the year.
ACCIONA IN 2014
ACCIONA Construction commitment in 2014 is based in continuous innovation and always sustainable solutions.
In 2014 social impact management methodologies have been implemented, as well as social investment to improve the life quality of those people living next to the sites of the diverse projects, utilizing mainly local suppliers to guarantee a sustainable supply chain.
ACCIONA Agua applies all its expertise and the latest technological developments to provide and manage water resources. In 2014, a great volume of water has been supervised, as a response to the strong demand, with services optimizing its usage and management. The result is a positive water footprint of over 500 hm3.
PERFORMANCE BY REGION
With the aim of achieving greater transparency, ACCIONA publishes financial statements for the services it provides in different markets. In addition, the Company reports the main projects that it has in Spain and the rest of Europe, Asia and Oceania, Africa, North America, Central America and South America.
Basis for the information
In response to the demands of our stakeholders regarding our performance, the Materiality Analysis described here identifies a compilation of over 120 material issues, out of which we have selected the 18/20 most relevant topics regarding each of the business lines. This reflects, at the same time, the importance of these issues in the context of 2014.
Delivering our values
ACCIONA is no stranger to the new challenges that draw the global framework in which companies and organizations act.
Global and regional trends set by climate change, resource scarcity and population growth require of different market players to provide solutions.
ACCIONA's response to this context is the 2015 Sustainability Master Plan, whose objectives and purposes are economic growth, environmental balance and social progress.
Ethics and transparency as confidence generators
Our framework of integrity and good governance comprises the code of conduct and the policy paper, ensuring accountability in our management.
We work to progressively implement measures to improve Good Governance, thus adding real value to the Company.
During 2014 we have:
- Expanded the scope of risk identification study to 12 countries
- Conducted the external diagnosis regarding the Prevention of Crime and Corruption for the totality of our activities in Spain
- We have also initiated the development of a Human Rights Risk Diagnosis with global coverage
Talent and leadership
ACCIONA is committed to its main asset, its internal staff, developing initiatives that promote improvements in training, recruitment, equal opportunities and health and prevention.
We develop initiatives to consolidate a safe environment in the workplace and make a special effort to continuously improve the safety and health of workers:
- ‘April 28’ National Award and secondary ICASEL Award for Occupational Risk Prevention
- Setting specific goals in relation to Occupational Risk Prevention according to each workplace
- Offering nearly 400,000 hours of training to employees at all levels during 2014
A future plenty of challenges
ACCIONA innovation is the tool that allows us to be more efficient, create new business opportunities and anticipate market movements.
ACCIONA's efforts in R + D + i, with a certified investment of 174.9 million euros, put the Company in the seventh place at European level in innovation intensity. This has resulted in:
- 25% reduction in the cost of energy production of the AW3000 wind turbine
- New assembly procedures for wind turbines and wind turbine towers
- European Environment Award in the category "Product and/or Service for Sustainable Development" for the use of composite materials.
Our raison d'être
ACCIONA is aware of the environmental variable in all decisions, integrating it into operational business and developing measures to reduce its footprint on the planet.
We strengthen our position as a leader company contributing to the fight against climate change, investing in renewable solutions, offsetting and finding innovative solutions to be at the forefront of the most advanced environmental standards:
- Avoiding the emission of 16.3 million tons of CO2
- Generating a positive net contribution to the water footprint of 532 Hm33
- 560 million euros of environmental economic numbers
ACCIONA extends sustainability to suppliers, contractors and employees, as well as to procedures, products and services. The client and his satisfaction are a priority for the Company.
We manage responsibly our supply chain, providing greater transparency in purchasing processes, and promoting local hiring:
- 93% of the purchases made come from local suppliers
- The overall level of customer satisfaction is 86%
Commitment to shared value
ACCIONA seeks to generate positive impacts in the communities where it operates by assessing and managing the social impact of its projects, as well as implementing an extensive program of social initiatives.
To design and plan activities in the field of social development, our Social Action Plan identifies the real needs of the communities where it operates.
- Installation by the Microenergía Foundation of 900 and 1,150 photovoltaic systems in Peru and Mexico, respectively
- 20 projects in more than 12 countries have introduced the methodology of social impact management
- 860 volunteers in more than 10 countries and 11.17 million euros of social contribution
Listen before acting
To provide practical and sustainable answers it is necessary to have a strategy based on the different expectations and interests of the stakeholder groups of ACCIONA, promoting direct dialogue with customers, communities, investors and authorities involved in the decision making process.
Through participation in various forums, conferences and dialogues, ACCIONA aligned and conveyed his vision and entrepreneurial ambition, linked to sustainability, to its stakeholders.
- Participation, in collaboration with other companies and trade associations, in the process of reforming the energy regulatory framework in Spain and the EU
- Fluid and constant communication with analysts and investors (284 in total)
- Thematic meetings on Sustainability with clients of the main business divisions
Dissemination and leadership
ACCIONA is a world leader in sustainability, both for its strategic value and for the disclosure of its corporate model of sustainability.
ACCIONA actively participates in international initiatives that reinforce its commitment to sustainable development, the fight against climate change and the spread of these subjects.
- The only Spanish company among the World's 100 Most Sustainable Companies (Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World 2014)
- Support for the Statement for Carbon Pricing led by the World Bank
- Adherence to the Trillion Tonne Communiqué, an initiative led by Corporate Leaders Group
Comprehensive and transparent
ACCIONA, according to the most advanced international reporting standards, provides detailed information on its activities, strategies and practices of sustainability.
The commitments towards the challenges of sustainability borne by ACCIONA are measurable, verifiable and transparent. This transparency means accountability to stakeholders. The main milestones of this work during 2014 were:
- Approval by the General Meeting of Shareholders of the 2013 Sustainability Report
- Obtaining RobecoSAM 2015 Silver Class commendation in the 2015 Sustainability Yearbook
- Awarded as world leader in combating climate change and recognized as one of the most sustainable supplier companies in the world by Carbon Disclosure Project
Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) is an organization that develops and disseminates reference standards, voluntarily followed, for the preparation of sustainability reports
ACCIONA’s 2014 Sustainability Report has been drawn up in line with the new G4 standard of GRI, at its Comprehensive level
Independent assurance report
This report has been developed by KPMG.
To check the reliability of non-financial information, the correct application of the AA1000 standard and the consistency of information responding to the general basic contents of the GRI Guideline (G4), the Company has outsourced the audit of its 2014 Sustainability Report to KPMG.
A set of relevant indicators have been reviewed with a reasonable level of assurance.